Godiva Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Godiva Forums

Welcome to our forums! please feel free to discuss anything and everything! To head back to the main site, please click the PORTAL link below

GodivaHomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hobowan: Wolf Pack

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hobowan
Fabricator-General of the Meccanocum
Hobowan

Awesomeness : 4791

Hobowan: Wolf Pack Empty
PostSubject: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 8:16 am

Hi all,

welcome to my thread!

______________________________________________________________________________________

Background

ToDo

Theme:

An army that is full of wolves and wolf equipment and iconography, and hunts like a wolf pack.

fast moving, aggressive and combat orientated, driven by a strong alpha, (canis), surrounded by betas, (thunderwolves), the wolf pack surges forward to engage and harry the target herd, trying to expose weakness and split the herd

Beta wolves lead some of the smaller packs (lone wolf & wolf guard leading the bloodclaws and small grey hunter squad), also focus on supporting the main pack in splitting the heard, and targeting weaker targets if they are easy prey.

Some pack members split off from the main pack to encircle the prey and harry the flanks of the herd - a sheepdog type role of isolating the prey and keeping the opponents where they are wanted.
2 outflanking units (wolf priest, grey hunters and scouts) target those separated off from the herd by the main pack, and completes the wolf pack with its goal of circling its prey

The omega pack members (fenrisian wolves) push forward with the main pack along the flanks, driving the opposing herd backwards, and pick off the smaller and weaker prey that inevitably peel off of the main pack's advance.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Pledges:

January:

Get codex - complete
Build Army List - complete

February:

10 Grey Hunters with meltagun, plasma gun, one with mark of the wulfen and wolf standard. (180) - complete

March:

Wolf Priest with storm bolter, saga of the hunter and runic armour (133) - complete

April:

Lone wolf, with 2 fenrisian wolves, terminator armour, powerfist and wolf claw (90) - complete

Army List:

HQ
Wolf Priest with storm bolter, saga of the hunter and runic armour (133)

Troops
10 Grey Hunters with meltagun, plasma gun, one with mark of the wulfen and wolf standard. (180)
7 Grey hunters with flamer (105)
10 bloodclaws with meltagun (155)

Elite
Lone wolf, with 2 fenrisian wolves, terminator armour, powerfist and wolf claw (90)

Fast Attack
15 fenrisian wolves with cyberwolf (128)
3 thunderwolf cavalry, one with storm shield, one with mark of the wulfen, one with wolf claw (205)

Total: 996

Future Pack Members:

Canis Wolfborn

Wolf Guard A - blood claws
Power Fist, Terminator Armour,, Wolf Claw
Wolf Guard B - scouts
Assault Cannon, Terminator Armour, Wolf Claw
Wolf Guard C - grey hunters
Cyclone Missile Launcher, Storm Shield, Terminator Armour, Wolf Claw

5x Wolf Scouts with 2x Boltgun, 2x Close Combat Weapon, Meltagun, 2x Plasma Pistol

5 additional bloodclaws with plasmagun

12 fenrisian wolves with cyberwolf

1 additional thunderwolf, no upgrades

Themes:

• Standard wolf colour scheme
  • Potentially Black Shoulder pads (dont like yellow or red, open to suggestions!)
  • basing will be based on a canadian-like conifer forest, with a patchy mud and snow base. with as much "pine" feel as i can give it!
  • any thoughts?

Last edited by Hobowan on Wed May 01, 2013 7:49 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://godiva.bravesites.com/
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

Awesomeness : 4860

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 10:19 am

Firstly I love the thought of those bases. I think the deep browns of the trees with the dark greens of conifers will bring the models to life. Will also add extra realism as many of today's wolves survive and hunt in that environment. Mae sure you watch the grey as well.

On thing I would suggest is using height to your advantage. By that I mean that, as this is a fluffy army, the higher they wolf is in the pack, the higher the base. It will show the rank easily on the table top (think a medal podium) and perhaps add an air of menace when facing them. I can't be sure of the validity of this but I have heard numerous gamers say that the "big" models are the ones they fear.

The shoulder pads are harder to say. I personally like the yellow look as long as it's not bright. Thinking more of a yellow/brown. If you were to highlight this by mixing in beached bone (instead of white) it should keep a muted colour and be quite subtle too.

Perhaps it would work on the black background you mention? But I would avoid black completely and used a VERY dark grey. The reason is that black seem to dry a different finish to other paints. Certainly with how I picture you SW's I doubt you want any gloss. A really dark grey will have sever advantages - matt finish, alloys a black wash to have a differentiating effect on the shoulder pad and can be highlighted slightly easier.
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 7:51 am

i could always match the colourings of the bases with the shoulders? perhaps go for a deep evergreen?
or maybe that could be for the omega pack members - the alphas and beta's going with the dark grey?

For Canis i already have thought out the idea of finding a suitable bit of rock form him to stand on (covered in snow with a tree) to give the effect of him standing atop a jutting out cliff edge with his wolf howling.

will take some heavy converting to change the wolf's static pose, but canis himself is posed well enough for it to suit standing on a cliff.

Hobowan: Wolf Pack M5004810

ive put my wolf priest (now converted with a forgeworld terminator chaplain's double handed crozius with a powerfist-mounted stormbolter) on a piece of slate to make sure he stands atop his brothers. he'll also get the banner from the grey hunter pack to make him even taller (the grey hunters will use the dedicated GW model with the Wolf Standard)
hell have black armour and space wolf grey shoulder pads i think
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 8:33 am

The howling will be hard. Perhaps there is another model with a better head you could swap? I seem to recall Warmachine or Hordes do were wolf troops which may be better? I doubt the wolf would be that that to convert for the pose, especially if one of the other ones had a straight leg. Alternatively you could simply pin him to the base and do him jumping off the cliff?

The cliff is actually surprisingly easy. If you use cork tiles (I have spare) then it can be cut as you want it. If your worried about the weight then you could wither add 1/2p's in between each layer and under the mini or possibly use putty over the top?
Back to top Go down
Clappers
Slave to the Hive Mind
Clappers

Awesomeness : 4242

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 10:47 am

I'm loving the sound of this army! not liking the thought of fighting them though....
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 5:33 am

i think you more than anyone will find them a cinch due to the amount of shooting you'll have...thunderwolf cavalry wont last a turn against a leman russ shell!

sure youll fold like paper when i get close, but will enough things get close?!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: pic heavy   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 9:02 am

okey doke, so ive just abot finished my last ork biker boy, leaving the rest of this short month free to paint my pledge!

I bluetacked them together last month, and have had another go at this to come up with the below - so here are before pics for the grey hunter squad!

Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-010
Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-011
Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-012
Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-013
Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-014
Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-015
Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-016
Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-017

and heres a spoiler for next months pledge!

Spoiler:

ps. i used thumbnails as there are so many pics, but let me know for future updates if youd rather just see the big pics in the forum
Back to top Go down
Clappers
Slave to the Hive Mind
Clappers

Awesomeness : 4242

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 5:44 am

looking very promising! can't wait to see these guys painted and preferably on my side!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 7:11 am

ill post some pics this evening - im half way through them now - 5 completed! ill have the next 2 nights off then ill have precisely 1 week to paint the remaining 5 - might be tight!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 5:31 am

so...i have completed the squad now! as today is the deadline ill post pocs later, as i.bought basing supplies today and want to do a wee.bit more basing. the only thing missing is one guys weapon...but that is on pirpose as he is awaiting a melta gun i have ordered frpm gw...wysiwyg!! but they are done! next months pledge is my wolf priest hq...
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 9:16 am

okeydoke - so here we are!

im not sure if the close up flash did them any justice, but such is life!

starting with the armless one which is awaiting a melta gun to arrive at GW sutton - hope this doesnt disqualify me!

Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-018
Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-019

and here's all of the gang! this time they are not so close up so they look more like real life and less like a 1980's pixelated computer game character

Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-020
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

Awesomeness : 4406

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 9:49 am

I didn't realise Brian Blessed had been recruited by the space wolves?!! Haha a tremendous effort mate they look mighty fine (even with beardy beardy) Laughing
Back to top Go down
Stryph
Hive World Slum Lord
Stryph

Awesomeness : 4699

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 8:20 pm

They do look awesome hobo - great job!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 12:27 am

They do look much better is real life too. the camera has madwe the armour look more chalky then it is and dulled the green own somehow!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 9:23 am

Pledge 2 complete!

please find (very poor) pics below!

Pledge 3 - lone wolf with 2 fenrisian wolves

Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-028
Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-029
Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-030
Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-031
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 11:38 pm

You do that green so well, it really draws the eye into it. I almost wish you had done marines of that colour now!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 10:58 am

are you going to delegate any non deathwing dark angels to me then? Smile
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 6:31 pm

I think you've painted quite enough of my models thanking you Smile
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 7:54 am

Ok, so here's my april pledge all based up and nice Smile

Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-019

they look all blocky again - i must master photography Sad

next months pledge - 7 grey hunters
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 7:55 am

i also finally finished the melta gun chap Smile

Hobowan: Wolf Pack 2013-020
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 8:04 am

Love 'em, especially the wolf which was probably the easiest I'd imagine?!!!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 8:12 am

i thought so too until i realised i put on a total of about a dozen different coats! the brown wolf has a ridiculous number of different brown and wash cominations - i looked on the net and it soon became apparant that theres no such thing as a brown wolf - they are dark brown, mid brown, light brown, beige and white on a hair by hair basis!
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 8:20 am

Fair play indeed then!! Still looks awesome Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 6:54 pm

I agre, I really do like the motion you've managed to catch on the wolves by adding the trees to the bases. great work!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 3:24 am

im quite happy with the big tree...a mix of twigs and green stuff - thankfully i matched the twigs colour well. do you think it should have foliage?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hobowan: Wolf Pack   Hobowan: Wolf Pack I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hobowan: Wolf Pack
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Godiva Forums :: A Plagiarised Tale of 5 Gamers-
Jump to: