Godiva Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Godiva Forums

Welcome to our forums! please feel free to discuss anything and everything! To head back to the main site, please click the PORTAL link below

GodivaHomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Brainstorming

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

Awesomeness : 4407

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 9:21 am

Thought I'd post on here first rather than clog up the individual threads before discussing with you guys; I too would like assistance with the base - would like to go along the lines of an industrial theme but not sure how to go about it; as for yours Taff I not sure what you mean by space hulk? I know sod all about various armies backgrounds etc but for what its worth a kind of tall grass base might look cool (not sure how easily done) and i dont recall as yet seeing anything similar! Also with regard to pictures, Hobo, can they be transferred from the public gallery to a thread as I haven't as yet managed to fix that yet?
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Fabricator-General of the Meccanocum
Taffiarti

Awesomeness : 4861

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 12:20 pm

OK, so we have separate questions here- most of which should be posted elsewhere but we're all friends here Smile:

- Should Taff do long grass for the bases of his death wing?
- How is easy is long grass to do?
- What is Space Hulk?
- Can Hobo move the pictures from the gallery?
- what shall I base my dark Eldar?

Q:Should Taff do long grass for the bases of his death wing?
A: No way! It's not a look I like and not one I intend to ever use. I believe it covers up too much of the model and is quite a complicated thing to balance.

A great example of it can be found here http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/289929.page. There are a lot of pages to this thread but it really is wonderful stuff and a great example of what the community can do as a project. I for one find this inspirational. It might be hard to see but in the bottom right of the cover photo are the Stern Guard. They have been used in this style and they look great. How much of that is down to the yellow paint or the camo black is up for debate though.

Q - How is easy is long grass to do?
Pretty easy. The easiest method is likely to be by buying a hard dust pan brush and simply cutting the bristles. Probably attached them into the base into some green stuff. Could be quite hard to paint though. I assume there is an answer in the thread I posted too but I'm not going to trawl 400 pages for it!

- What is Space Hulk?

Space hulk is a game made by Games Workshop
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod210009a

It is a table top games set in the future that runs similar to many of the fantasy based one but with terminators and guns.

According to the Lexican they are:
A Space Hulk is a massive conglomeration of lost ships and wrecks fused together. They drift in and out of the warp through space and during the millennia the lost ships join together into one enormous body. Many times they are so huge that they have their own atmosphere and gravity. Since the hulks often exit and re-enter the warp seemingly at random, searching or travelling in them is dangerous in the extreme.

Can Hobo move the pictures from the gallery?
No idea! But I will ad it to the technical suport section as thi really should be there. Alternatively you could just take your computer to a repair shop and see if they can fix it.....

- what shall I base my dark Eldar?
You should base them all white to show the white flag as all dark Eldar units are losers?

But seriously it's hard to say. What is your theme? What level of challenge do you want? Do you intend to make the bases complimentary to your colour scheme? Are they a feature? Or a compliment? I realise as I type I should have done the same with my personal comment on my thread, so I will amend that.

To answer I think you should make a thread (or ask me/hobo to) and write down what your hopes are for the army. My personal opinion would be this:

- Dark Eldar army on a slave raid
- Raid on an imperial world that is defended by guard or possibly Grey Knights.
- I imagine a swamp theme as that would be where the Skimmer tech would be most advantageous.
- It would be challenging as the base would likely be dark browns and greens, but could include trees, foliage, water etc...
- The muted colours should compliment the typical Dark Eldar pint scheme as most of the scheme are high lighted in bright colours.

Hope this helps!

Taff.

Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

Awesomeness : 4792

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 8:37 am

as for my part to play in those questions, yes you can...but probably not from a phone? right clicking on the picture gives you the option to copy the image url (on google chrome anyway - and if you dont use chrome, i thoroughly recommend it!)

when you then have a thread you can paste the url to put the picture in as normal

i like taff's swamp idea - it would be a good one.

i dont see dark eldar as industrial per say - at least not in the english version of industrial - they are too sleek for that...in their own industrial terms however it to me seems like they would be minimalists...
thus i think a deldar industrial zone would be dark and spacious...one image that does cross my mind is a smokey red (not lava or fire, but red) and black landscape with geisers and small hollow volcano type things venting smoke...

so perhaps coarse large sand particles, painted black, with dark red and blood red areas to the sand, with black/red rocks.
on your skimmer bases you could be more ambitious and put in larger rock smoke stack type things so that your skimmer is skimming over it

if had trouble finding an image, but how about this? (forget the sky, just the ground)

Brainstorming Moon-r10
Back to top Go down
http://godiva.bravesites.com/
Hobowan
Hobowan

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 9:04 am

heres another rough visualisation of whats in my head:

Brainstorming Alien_10
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 9:10 am

I like the idea of swamp like terrain, I guess because deldar seem all about death n nastiness, growing things seem a little inappropriate; so in an industrial vein I was thinking more of Independence Day spaceship industrial if that gives a better idea - like the image btw bounce
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 am

I like that a lot too - biggest trick will be making it NOT look like lava!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 9:18 am

So are you saying that you are basing your troops as if they are on your home world (kamoragh?) rather than looting or fighting on a different world? I only ask as it makes your basing a pieces of piss because there are pictures and descriptions through put the book. Plus it really limits you so it adds coherency on the spot. That and Dark Eldar steal everything because they are too busy having Orgies!

Believe me, you will never make it look like lava unless you want too. Paint it black and work your way up using dark reds. If you ever get to pure blood red (is it mephiston red now?) then you have gone too far. Definitiley keep it dark.
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 9:31 am

Certainly not intentionally - just an image in my head before I've even looked at any examples, so any similarity is purely coincidental! As for a theme is was more a "throw an idea out there", I want to improve my painting technique before I start getting too creative hence my lack of inventiveness if you like for the colour scheme!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 am

Personally, I think you need to sit down and figure out which is more important. The base or the colour scheme. The colour scheme and painting the model seems to be the priority from what you've said. When you have your colour find a complimentary colour (see the book I left at yours) and figure it out from there. That's what I reckon anyway!
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 10:17 am

Yeah absolutely about the models for me, the bases are just complimentary as you said, just as we were on topic.......
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 10:21 am

DW, keeping on topic is not what your known for,lol. Just like short concise answers isn't my thing Smile
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 8:34 am

well, i think black and red go with pretty much everything - you could easily transfer that scheme to the dark eldar themselves, or you could go with a totally opposite scheme for the models to differentiate the bases. either way it works!
Back to top Go down
Clappers
Slave to the Hive Mind
Clappers

Awesomeness : 4243

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 11:09 am

my two pennies worth here is go for a base that contrasts the model scheme as its a really easy way to make the whole army pop! I've only recently started basing and i have to say i love it, its so much easier than painting the damn models and the payoff is alot more immediate.... i think i may have A.D.D...
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 5:55 am

attention deficit disorder?

that explains all those personality querks of yours Smile
Back to top Go down
Clappers
Slave to the Hive Mind
Clappers

Awesomeness : 4243

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 10:37 am

haha yup i get easily distracted, sometimes something will happen as im typing and i'll just stop typing mid sen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brainstorming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming   Brainstorming I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brainstorming
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Godiva Forums :: A Plagiarised Tale of 5 Gamers-
Jump to: