Godiva Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Godiva Forums

Welcome to our forums! please feel free to discuss anything and everything! To head back to the main site, please click the PORTAL link below

GodivaHomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anubyr

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Stryph
Hive World Slum Lord
Stryph

Awesomeness : 4701

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 10:00 am

Stryph's Necrons

As I've mentioned I'm going on a stargate theme for these guys, it's not going to be an amazing army list but hopefully it's going to look so awesome I'll win plenty of moral victories! :-)

Army List

HQ - Necron Overlord w/warscythe, Mind shackle scarabs, resurrection orb, sempiternal weave

Why?

This is my goa'uld master, so essentially I wanted to kit him to the bollocks as far as possible to represent this - with an "ignores armour" cc weapon 2+ save and resurrection orb, the mindshackle scarabs really felt like he was implanting his enemy with a symbiote as well so I threw that in there.

Troop - 2x 10 warriors

these are the jaffa, nothing special - the immortals look a lot better gamewise but I won't be using them at all

Elite - 5 Deathmarks

You brobably have to be a stargate fan to understand this one but these guys are going to be the Kull. They were basically super assassins used by Anubis in stargate, problem I have modelwise is I'm going to have to replace the arms as the Kull had wrist mounted guns and these guys carry massive rifles. So I'll have to work out where I can get masses of Necron arms from as all the left arms I've seen are missing their hands due to the way the bits join together - cross that bridge when I come to it

Heavy - Monolith

Goa'uld mothership - Had a look at this thee other day, I'm going to have to use 2 monolith models to make this badboy. Cutting up the one I already have (which has been glued together by someone who apparently liked to pour the glue from the bottle as it's absolutely covered in the stuff!) and geting another to constuct the middle pyramid, I'll probably have to work up some sketches for this one before I start though.

Heavy - Doomscythe

This is the go'uld deathglider, will have to do a massive reshape on the wings but apart from that they are a very close match.

Heavy - Doomsday Ark

There is nothing remotely simillar to this in stargate that I can think of but it came in the battleforce so by god I'm going to use it.... ATM this one is going to sit and wait although I think this guy is going to be the broken hull of a ship which is being eaten by replicators.

Paintscheme

Goa'uld colours are booooring which is a problem as this project was meant to make me step up painting not effectively go backwards and spray black then drybrush silver - done! Therefore I'm probably going to go either dark red or orange with a rusting effect.

Bases

My current though process is leading me towards flourescent yellow sand with crystals spiking up out of it, but I kindof don't want to use snd again so this is really stilll up in the air a bit, need to sit down with the stargate boxset and do some research Smile

Fluff

Willl get around this, as it's already written in my head but just need to put it on paper... or screen anyway

Pledge

January - Done! have done my initial army list and actually purchased (yes with money) the codex!

February - I'm only going to pledge my HQ guy for the next month, I have some nids to get ready for a tourney, I'm starting infinity (that's another thread soon to come...) and have a lots of what am I doing? to sort out before I actually start going and don't want to promise anything I can't deliver!!!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Fabricator-General of the Meccanocum
Taffiarti

Awesomeness : 4862

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 pm

I'm not as familiar with the series as you, but weren't the colours of the armour a dark brass with gold trim?
Back to top Go down
Stryph
Hive World Slum Lord
Stryph

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 12:22 am

well they are sortof a dirty metal colour with bronze trim in general, which is kindof boring, I did pop into GW the other day to have a look through the paints but staring at all those colours and trying to pick one made my brain melt so need to sit down with a model in front of me and plan something out, I'm more leaning towards rust - so orange as that would make the most logical sense.

Just had the idea of circuit board bases - what you think?
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

Awesomeness : 4793

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 9:21 am

my stargate memories are of fire fights in forests....so id be tempted to suggest a nice clean light green. would contrast perhaps too much though.

how about sandstone blocks a la pyramids?
Back to top Go down
http://godiva.bravesites.com/
Clappers
Slave to the Hive Mind
Clappers

Awesomeness : 4244

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 11:02 am

I've never played necrons, Should be very interesting to see how they do... Just a crazy idea for the bases, you're circuit board idea sorta nudged this into my mind.... how about like stone or sand or something and then have a green circuit eminating from the feet? might be hard to do for an entire army but i think it would look cool as hell. kinda...
Anubyr Necron10

that sorta thing?
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 12:05 pm

Almost like a techno virus spreading? You could look at pictures of the Marvel character cable for inspiration.
Back to top Go down
Stryph
Hive World Slum Lord
Stryph

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 4:10 am

oooh thats a really nice array of ideas there....

I think there is going to be much experimentation on these (with pictures) before I get around to making any final choices!

I like the idea of melding the sandstone with circuit board to show both the stargate and necron sides with the circuit board spreading through the sandstone like a technovirus emanating from the model itself.

THAT'S FUCK-ING TEAMWOOORK!

Now I actually have to do it.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 7:19 am

you might be able to buy some resin bases to give you a good start:

Anubyr Images10
(www.forgecraftgames.com)

This could be painted in sandstone, with the cracks having lime green within them - you could scalpel more randomised lines too.

personally i would recommend:

1) paint bases in sandstone blocks
2) add painted mini to the base with the feet on the stones
3) scalpel wavey lines eminating from the feet
4) paint wavey lines lime green

that would give an effect of your 'crons footsteps corrupting the ground with each step with their green electrical goodness!
Back to top Go down
Stryph
Hive World Slum Lord
Stryph

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 9:52 am

resin bases may well be the way to go here actually, would save me a lot of time... I'm down the game shop tomorrow to pick up my infinity starter set so I'll have a look at what they have down there. I'm gonna try and see if I can find any old computer chips (old dial up odes or whatever) and take a hammer to those for some bits and bobs as well
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 10:09 am

I think the price would add up really quickly on those. My initial calculation is $32 dollars without postage. Not saying they can't be found cheaper elsewhere, but it seems likely the cost of the bases is equal to a box of warriors. I think you could make a entire armies worth for about a fiver and one evening of your time...

My imagine of the bases is really quite easy to make.

1) add sand to base
Taff Tip: Either use primer here or matt medium if you are trying to retain the sand colour
2) Paint sand using quick dry brushing
3) Glue model on
4) Paint watered down black around the feet, ensuring sand is left.
5) Paint the green lines coming out from the feet through the black and into the sand.

I believe this will look like the black spreading along these tron lines. The £5 would cover tester pots from bnq and the bright green replacement paint if you didn't have it. If you have the paint it would cover a burger on the walk home....

If you wanted to do more effort then put a thin sheet of foam board under the above and carve the lines into it. This would give good guidance for the lines and add a dimension of depth . Foam board is really cheap too.
Back to top Go down
Stryph
Hive World Slum Lord
Stryph

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 9:19 pm

yeah I looked at bases in the shop last night and they are £4.50 for 5, which whilst not terrible, it's gonna add up to a significant cost fairly quickly!

I think a trip to the beach may be in order to pick up come nice stones, paint them as sandstone, add some standing grass around them togther with the circuits eminating from the feet., as you descibe taff - except in rock rather than sand - can't do sand again
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 11:21 pm

Just a note on this pebble idea as it's something I failed to consider in previous basing attempts. Remember that your models feet will be on something. When a stone is applied to a base, especially a small base, I have found it hard to add anything else to due to the room needed. hence why I generally use cork as I can cut it to shape.

Unless you are planning for the entire base to be a stone with the lines coming off? At some point I will do a base like this just for curiousity.
Back to top Go down
Stryph
Hive World Slum Lord
Stryph

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 11:49 pm

yeah I was thinking about larger stones raher than pebbles - although they can be tricky to find and as you say awkward, so I'll probably end up having to cut models up to make them fit, which whilst 1 or 2 is fine and adds character and all that - not sure I want to have to do it to a bunch of them. Didn't think about cork - I guess I can pick that up in wilkos or rymills or somewhere like that?
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 3:55 am

Depending upon what sort of cork you want I get mine from Wicks. I think it was £4-£5 for pack of floor tiles. Alternatively I got friendly with the barman at FL and they gave me 4 carrier bags worth after a few weekend parties.... Remember Stryph: It pays to have friends!
Back to top Go down
Clappers
Slave to the Hive Mind
Clappers

Awesomeness : 4244

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 5:18 am

Agreed with mr. Taff. pebbles and flagstones on cork should be fairly easy, just cut the in different sized squares and play mozaic madness then trim them round the base and use offcuts for broken slabs plus things'll stick to cork easily the problem i've had with basing in the past is getting the model to be secure on the base. Same thing with any flock or grit should stay on nicely with corck and not base your room too much.
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 7:54 am

i dunno, being a professional beach comber myself, i happen to know that teignmouth beach has some magnificent basing stone - my wolf priest is on one!

at medium tide around the beach head by the habour is a massive amount of 25mm base sized slate, which would be perfect if painted
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Anubyr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anubyr   Anubyr I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anubyr
Page 1 of 1