Godiva Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Godiva Forums

Welcome to our forums! please feel free to discuss anything and everything! To head back to the main site, please click the PORTAL link below

GodivaHomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Latent Entropy
Mindless servitor
Latent Entropy

Awesomeness : 4306

New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! Empty
PostSubject: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 7:48 pm

What did I find when I went on the GWS webby after midnight last night?
Only the new Chaos stuff! Very Happy

And then £230 went missing from my wallet. Crying or Very sad

So this is what it gets me:
- L.E. Chaos Codex
- Chaos Phychic Power Cards
- Forgefiend/Maulerfiend
- Raptors/Warp Talons
- Warpsmith
- Dark Apostle
- 2 Heldrakes

Looks like I wont be doing anything else for a good while.
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Fabricator-General of the Meccanocum
Hobowan

Awesomeness : 4801

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 11:13 pm

im quite jealous - i want a hard back codex!!!! (i would say this one wouldnt be destroyed like the last one but my rule book put a stop to that logic!)

did you get the launch bundle? pretty good value!

those heldrakes are expensive at £45 on their own - considering dakkajets are £27 they are going to be pretty crazy in the flesh i would imagine
Back to top Go down
http://godiva.bravesites.com/
Latent Entropy
Mindless servitor
Latent Entropy

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 12:45 am

The launch bundle is no cheaper.
It's simply the equivalent of a "1 click buy all new models & standard codex" and besides I didn't want to buy the Aspiring Champion.

Yeah, the heldrakes are expensive which is disappointing. GWS knew everyone would buy them on release, so bumped the price. I doubt I'd buy any more heldrakes though, 2 seem enough.

Interestingly on dakka they've a couple pics of the leaked chaos codex, been looking at that most of the morning.

Looks like everyones leadership is going to be lower in 6th ed if CSM is anything to go by. Ld 8 for standard marines, Ld 9 for Champions, HQ's Ld 10, forcing the warlord traits to become more useful...
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 2:02 am

i guess it does make sense fluff wise - after all they were created from falling under the spell of chaos
Back to top Go down
Stryph
Hive World Slum Lord
Stryph

Awesomeness : 4709

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 9:02 am

that's a lot of stuff!!!

I'm interested to see the new chaos dex - have to get my google on at some point and see what I can find!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

Awesomeness : 4870

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 9:26 am

The leadership makes sense as that puts them in line with normal marines. No reason why hiding in the warp would increase that.

I don't think £45 is unreasonable for the kit if its the size I think it is. From what White Dwarf has said its wide than a storm Raven (formerly the widest model GW produced). And a storm Raven is £50.00. Given that the model is more details than a land raider or a storm raven I think it is actually £5 short of what I was expecting.

I still am interested by what the Eldar one would look like though.....

I'm looking forward to looking at your write up of the codex and the rules Dave! Just remember not to break copyright when you do, lol!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 8:36 pm

reading the bat rep in white dwarf and listening to james at GW sutton it does sound like a good part of the army too.

it has weapons that are really effective against everyone, but particularly marine (S6 AP3 flamer i think), but its the vector striking on other flyers that makes it doubly as effective. (not to mention ground vehicles)

im not convinced its worth bringing more than one though, as it will no doubt be a healthy whack of points!

the other thing i read is that havocs can bring flakk missiles - all in all with them and the birdy it is not wise to bring fliers against chaos!

Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 10:34 pm

I think this is a wonderful choice. I don’t have the other white dwarves to hand, however this seems really good value at the 170 points. Compare it to comparable units – 1 tactical squad with no upgrades, 80 points less than a land raider, a good few points less than a storm raven. I think it is good value.

Then you take its survivability into account. I don’t know the armour but I suspect its AV12, like the storm raven. That immediately makes it very hard to kill statistically. What unit/weapon has enough shots (that hit on 6’s) to glance or pen AV12 with regularity? Normal unit fire is useless. A twin linked assault cannon might do it, but the odds are slim. Ork Lootas seem to have the best chance, but any general worth there salt would target them. The two flamers alone may well be enough to wipe them off the board.

Other fliers are a different story. In the few games I have played with multiple fliers, and the battle reports I have read/watched, show that other fliers can be avoided for the most part. The limited firing arcs and the ability to be a “mobile reserve” and come back on at a different point makes them harder still to target. Even with the standard BS of sky fire, most units don’t have too much to pierce AV12 – a one shot las cannon? Str 8 missiles maybe?

Given what it can do and the discussed survivability this unit seems a simple choice. Especially when (and some one correct me here) I am lead to believe the fast attack choice slot of the chaos codex is not as competitive as it might be.

Then, there is the most important rule of all: the rule of cool! It’s freaking EPIC!!!! I almost wish I were a traitor marine to get one. The storm talon looks worse by the day. Even the Storm Apache (my 7 days will hopefully be up soon!) will not look this cool no matter what I do to it!

I think it may be time for me to stop buying random miniatures a save up £200 odd for the next army release of choice!! Fingers crossed for the Eldar!!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 11:12 pm

the reality with lootas is that they are actually quite hit and miss - and i find more miss than anything of late - they havent performed really well since the original game against tallis - theyve lived on reputation since then!

mind you, they are our anti-aircraft too.

i think in general aircraft are in ascendancy, but with the chaos codex bringing in the first anti aircraft guns not found on a fortification, the winds will slowly start to shift against them i fear.

in the mean time, hands off the tau - im waiting for their launch! i want to recreate my dawn of war army Smile
Back to top Go down
Latent Entropy
Mindless servitor
Latent Entropy

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 5:33 am

The Fast Attack (FA) slots for Chaos are dreadful, slight improved with 6th Ed because of rules, but still I've only ever fielded a FA choice once in all my battles.

ATM we get Raptors (Jump Infantry), Chaos Spawns (Models we don't even control movement on) and Bikers. So the flier is a very welcome addition.

I take it the Heldrake's stats are in this issue of White Dwarf?
I've not brought it.
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 5:47 am

im afraid not, but it does describe that they are basically half flyer half flying monstrous creature - they seem to fly and shoot like a flyer, but can also vectore strike tanks and other aircraft with its massive talons

they will be armour 12 almost certainly i will venture though - unlikely it would be 11 and almost certainly wont be 10 or 13.

it did show that the helbrute is an elite choice though - i assumed theyd be heavy choice!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 6:18 am

I think all dreadnaughts are elite bar the grey knights aren't they? I suspect the warp techmarine will have some sort of upgrade to move something between slots, eg a space marine master of the forge allows dreads to be taken as Elite choices AND heavy, hence 6 dreadnaught armies.
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 7:28 am

and like big meks allow a deff dread to be troop so 5 dread army for a whopping 425 points.(if you have a spare £155!!!)

actually thats an awesome 500 point list:

big mek 35
big mek with combi rokkit 40
deff dread, 2 x skorcha 85
deff dread, 2 x skorcha 85
deff dread, 2 x big shoota 85
500 points

anyone fancy a game?!
Back to top Go down
Stryph
Hive World Slum Lord
Stryph

Awesomeness : 4709

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 7:48 pm

I'll play that list Smile

got some new little robot buddies that would looooooove to take that on!

everything else... not so much....
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 11:22 pm

Not with a 500 point list!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 7:12 am

One day ill have to challenge one of you on the back of another game - any list except one with scarabs! Mad

3 days to go latent!
Back to top Go down
Latent Entropy
Mindless servitor
Latent Entropy

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 5:52 am

They are released on the 6th, I thought it was this weekend too Sad

So, 3 days and 1 week.

Gives me tiem to finish my Helbrute... (Ha!)
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 6:00 am

pics pics pics!
Back to top Go down
Latent Entropy
Mindless servitor
Latent Entropy

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 7:07 am

Hobowan wrote:
pics pics pics!

Just to appease the masses:
New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! Helbru10

Daemonic Skin
Base: Screamer Pink
Layer: Pink Horror
Dry: Changling Pink
Wash: Baal Red
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 9:04 am

Looks like it' coming along nicely! While I'm looking forward to seeing it painted, I am dreading playing against it!

Is that a chinese order to the left? I am doubly jealous!
Back to top Go down
Latent Entropy
Mindless servitor
Latent Entropy

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 5:25 am

If the D.V. stats are anything to go by it's a Dread with one less attack...

Sadly it's not a chinese order. Not had one in ages, come to think of it!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 8:52 pm

I had chinese last night,well worth the wait!

I didn't twig the new codex's were £30...... this is getting ridiculous...... No wonder you spent so much!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 9:27 am

so it was released today! did you get your package mr tallis?

read a bit on the old intenet, and im suprised it got some mixed reviews...but noone seems to be screaming OP, or even whinging too much about the army list, points costs etc

the biggest criticism, certainly on dakka so far is a fluffy one, people are disappointed that you didnt really get any options to field specific legion's lists - alpha legion particularly (shame cos that would be an awesome army list!

please tell us you are going to zombie spam us! affraid
Back to top Go down
Latent Entropy
Mindless servitor
Latent Entropy

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 5:02 am

My package was the biggest in store... (I got loads of funny looks)

But yes, I did get my package!

I'm really dissapointed I didnt get drop pods.
I guess I can only blame the Iron Warriors Primarch for using them all for the Steel Cage tactic used when retreating from the Holy Palace on Terra...

I'd say it's a good solid codex, loads of new toys and crazy things to play with but the best thing of all is the customisation.

Though the focus has shifted in my opinion, as it is now all about your HQ choice, as that will determine what type of army you can bring along, with "Cult Marines" being elite/troop depending on your Mark.

Which also plays havoc with the Chaos FoC for a campaign like the one we are curerntly playing, as it means if I don't bring a specifc Mark each time my army list suddenly becomes illegal. Joy! Rolling Eyes

Sadly, I will not be playing with any of the new toys for a couple months, maybe even until early next year, as it takes me so long to model and paint.

Time to book some holiday and paint up these bad boys.
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 10:58 am

The biggest question that I have is simple - is the book really worth £30!!!
A book for that much better be as awesome as Dwayne Johnson coming up to me and asking for directions.

In my opinion the models certainly are but I do want to physically look at them before I give it the old thumbs up.

And Mr Latent - consider yourself challenged in early January - when the models are ready to be whooped by either of my forces lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!   New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Chaos Models / Codex Ordered!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next