Godiva Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Godiva Forums

Welcome to our forums! please feel free to discuss anything and everything! To head back to the main site, please click the PORTAL link below

GodivaHomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Taffiarti
Fabricator-General of the Meccanocum
Taffiarti

Awesomeness : 4859

TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar Empty
PostSubject: TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar   TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 8:46 am

Hi guys

So here is a quick write up of a game Rellik and I played the other week. It was a 2000 point game to allow us to try units and tactics we don't often play. After all, we're both fairly new to these armies. Not only that but it had been around two months since we had both played. Got to ensure it's more regular than that next time. Even if it's just so I can practice and evolve Taff Reps!

TAFF REPS

So, you'll ave noticed the subtle change t the name of this feature. I enjoy making battle reports but I dislike battle chronicler so am looking for a new style to them. At present I tend to write a lot of words and add photos (when I remember to take them). But what do people want to see? I'm quite happy to try anything that will not add a big cost to me. Want videos? Sure thing! I can do that (and it might be quicker once I get the hang of it). Enjoy the words and pictures? That's cool and I will ensure I take more photos - what phots do you want though! Want a combination of both? We can do that too if you give me some guidance! Want tactics from both players in film or writing? I don't see why not. Post game? Stranger things have happened at sea! Narrative? I'm sure I can make up some suitable story line for most armies. It doesn't even have to be from the point of view of my army.

What I'm trying to get at is that I'm open to change, suggestions and experimentations. The better battle reports are, the more likely people are to take note of them and maybe, just maybe, add traffic to the site. So let me know what people want to see.

Not only that, but challenge me to a game! I am always happy to play in a game. My only concern is the amount of time they take This game took 5 hours for example. In a tournament I finished two out of three games in 90 minutes! If you want a game against either my marines or my Eldar, let me know and I will do all I can to be there, and I'll even write the battle report,lol!

Anyway................

So I'm not sure exactly what Relliks army list was as I forgot to take the list! D'Oh! Here is a blurry shot!

Grey Knight Army

TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar Gk_arm11

"Captain Cowardly" - Captain in terminator armour and multiple barrage thing.
5 terminators
5 terminators
5 paladins
dreadnaught
Vindicare assasin
land raider
troop choice in power armour (strike squad?)

Eldar army

TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar Eldar_11

Eldar:
HQ:
Eldrad
Farseer 1 with spirit tones, runes of warding, 3 * powers
Farseer 2 with spirit tones, runes of warding, 3 * powers

Troops
10 Dire Avengers with Exarch, bladestorm, Shimmer shield
10 Dire Avengers with Exarch, bladestorm, Shimmer shield
10 Wraithguard, spritseer with conceal
10 guardians with starcannon

Heavy
Wraith Lord with Wraith Sword (proxied by dreadnought)
Wraith Lord with Wraith Sword (proxied by dreadnought)
Wraith Lord (proxied by dreadnought)
3 * Walkers with 2 shruiken cannons
3 * Walkers with 2 shruiken cannons

Spells
Eldrad: Foreboding, Precognition, Scriers Gaze, Prescience
Farseer 1: Foreboding, Forewarning, Prescience
Farseer 2: Foreboding, Scriers Gaze, Prescience

The game/battlefield

We rolled on the standard mission charts

Battle Type: The Scouring (^ objectives, random scoring)
Deployment: Vanguard Strike (diagnals)

The board was set up after being split into 6 equal slots and randomly rolled. Below is the results with deployment:

TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar 02711

Objectives: Randomly placed by each of us. They were:
- landing pad (4 points)
- central crater (2)
- northern tower (3)
- left ruin (2)
- north eastern building (3)
- north western crater (2)

The Grey Knights split their force into 4 parts. The Storm raven contained the power armoured troop choice and was in reserve. Cowardly Commander and the assassin hid in the building with their deployment zone. The land raider and pallys hit the north side with the remainder forming up on the other flank

The Eldar lined up using the Wraith Guard and Wraith Lords as a meat shield. Eldrad joined the Wraith Guard. The Far seers joined a unit of dire avengers each. One unit of walkers held back slightly to act in the mid to the end game.

TURN ONE!!

Grey Knights
The Grey Knights went first and began to advance whilst taking pot shots at the Eldar.

The land raider moved up 6 inches and fired it's lascannon at the nearest Wraith Lord in cover, with the save being made. Th second lascannon sponson was aimed at the central Wraith Lord and it cause a wound. The paladins followed using the land raider as cover.

The bottom terminator squad advanced and shot all storm bolters at the Wraith Guard, failing to wound them due to their toughness of 6.

The commander fared better, killing 5 Dire Avengers with his oribital blast. Inspired, the assassin shot at the central Wraith Lord but amazingly failed to hit. What sort of assassin is he....

Eldar
Doom was cast of the nearest 5 terminators, who were subsequently shot and killed by the Guided War Walkers. First Blood Eldar. The second unit of Walkers readjusted to the movement of the Grey Knights.

The Wraith Lord nearest the Land Raider charged towards it, hoping to engage it in close combat in a subsequent turn.

The depleted dire Avengers squad moved to claim the tower objective while the guardian squad moved towards the landing pad. The Eastern most Wraith Lord followed them, hoping to benefit from the 3+ invunerable save of the landing pad!

The Wraith Guard moved further up the board towards the Dread Knight. Eldrad left this squad and was replaced by a lesser Psyker. They received a 4+ invunerable save and the ability to use their full BS on over watch. Eldrad and the full Dire Avengers squad moved up in support and ran as they were out of ranger.

TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar 03311
End of Turn One (and last turn picture - sad times)

Turn Two

Grey Knights
The Strom Raven came on in a central position and both it and the Land Raider shot and killed the Wraith Lord baring down on the Land Raider. The Paladins followed the land raider once more.

The dread knight, now being in range of something, shot at the Wraith Guard and killed a few.

The commander did an Orbital bombardment at the east of the board, killing guardians and dire avengers in Eldrads squad.

Eldar
The War walkers were guided again and shot at the Storm Raven, taking two hull points off it. So close....

The guided Wraith Guard advanced within range of the Dread Knight and shot their fusion cannons at it. Lucky rolls meant instant death was caused on the one shot that did damage. Ever get the feeling it was going to be your day?

The Guardian squad advanced again, claiming the objective. They also shot at the Storm Raven but failed to penetrate the armour of it's hull.

The Central and Eastern Wraith Lord joined up , moving to the road in the hope of assaulting the commander and assassin.

Eldrads dire avengers followed behind the Wraith Guard, getting ready to claim the central objective.

Turn Three

Grey Knights
The Storm Raven switched into Hover mode and shot all it's guns at the nearest Eldar War Walkers and wiped them.

The squad disembarked from the Storm Raven and , between them and the assassin, killed a Wraith Guard.

The terminators disembarked from the Land Raider and , with it's help, shot all dire avengers that were in line of sight. The two left passed their test. But would it do any good with the paladins looming?

Eldar
The remaining War Walkers advanced and shot at the Storm Raven but failed to do anything - even though it was in Skimmer mode!!!! The pain!!!!!!!

The Guardian Squad shot at the strike squad and killed one.

The rest of the army reposistioned itself, in particular the two Wraith Lord moved up the road dangerously close to the Grey Knight back line.

Turn Four

Grey Knights
The Storm Raven stayed in skimmer mode and pivoted to fire everything at the nearest Wraith Lord. It struggled to get through the high toughness and the Wraith Lord survived.

The assassin shot at the Wraith Guard and the captain at the guardians but failed to get past the respective invunerable saves.

The Paladins continued to run towards the tower objective and the nearby termintor squads moved towards the centre, killing the Wraith Guard that were in the crater.

Eldar
If an Eldar army could call a Whhaaagh, this was it. One Wraith Lord charged the storm Raven and destroyed it. The other Wraith Lord charged the Land Raider and destroyed it.

Combined fire of guided Eldrads Dire Avengers bladestorming and guided Wrath Guard destroyed the Doomed terminator Squad. The 3 War Walkers rounded the corner and took 5 wounds off the Paladins. The guardians Star Cannon also shot at the paladins causing a wound. Due to the closest model rule this left 3 paladins with 4 wounds between them.

Turn Five

Grey Knights
The Strike squad charged the Wraith Lord and failed to wound him. The Wraith Lord failed to ound in return.

The Paladins finally charged the dire avengers and destroyed them. They could not get through the Farseers invunerable save though.

Eldar
The remaining unattached Wraith Lord attacked the cowardly commander and failed to kill him. The commanders grenades failed to get through the high toughness of the Wraith Lord.

There Paladins and the Farseer fought to a stand still.

Eldrad and the dire avengers moved to claim the tower objective.

GAME OVER

Results:
Grey Knights: 3 due to assasin scoring (though I can't recall how)
Eldar: 11 ( fast kill<storm raven, first blood, 9 in objectives)

Final thoughts....

Still getting a lot of rules wrong between us. I don't know the storm raven rules and nether did rich. Think I missed a Wraith roll or two as well. Struggled to keep tabs on who had what magically. I may have to photo copy the cards for when I have multiple psykers! Need to learn more MC rules as well. Do MC's have an AP in CC? Not sure at this second!

Over all I was happy with how my army played. I think I prioritised the targets pretty well and kept my sight on the objectives at al times. I was lucky in that I held the higher value objectives and therefore could afford to sit back. If I had to go to the Grey Knights it would have been much harder. I'm still debating the Wraith guard. There weapons are simply incredible though so may well need more experiments.

I believe the Grey Knights should have been more aggressive. The Eldar would have crumbled in CC and so the assault ramps of the land raider and the Storm talon should have been used. That said both the scenario and deployment do not favour the grey knights and I saw a definite evolving of tactics.

I look forward to the next game.

Let me know what you thought!

Back to top Go down
Stryph
Hive World Slum Lord
Stryph

Awesomeness : 4698

PostSubject: Re: TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar   TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 9:43 am

Good batrep!

I prefer it done this way with a scattering of photos I find with videos it has to be the right tie (my cop is in the living room so I can only watch when the other half isn't watching something on tv)

MC attacks are all AP2 as they have the smash special rule

I have the exact same problem with psychers - I've been printing off army lists, giving guys names and writing the powers on that - I end up getting confused with iron arm S & T boosts as well so need to start noting that better as I end up relying on my opponent at times which is going to screw me over at some point!

I've not seen much fro the GK assassins so far at all... poor training regime!

Oh - I've got the [Only admins are allowed to see this link] message for the photos on this one as well!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar   TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 10:22 am

No idea why that is happening. I have done the picture the exact same way as with the WIP and the gallery.

Would they get AP2 if they were not using a smash attack? I ask as there is little point on the Wraith Lord given that it's already strength 10...

Thanks for the feedback on the Taff Reps! When I get some more feedback I'll start experimenting. I may well do this any way to be fair as it is the first step towards world domination, lol.
Back to top Go down
Stryph
Hive World Slum Lord
Stryph

PostSubject: Re: TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar   TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 10:41 am

It would indeed - I won't quote the rule word for word put it's at the bottom of the smash USR

Photos have been squiffy for a while - I blame Nick as he hasn't joined yet :-)

Also... I've been half tempted to write tactical pieces - anyone interested in reading that? and if so any requests?
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar   TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 10:43 am

My immediate thought is yes. I would like to know how to beat you Razz

I think it is a good idea, especially given the discussions you and Stormy have been having.

I wonder if there would be the same call for marines....
Back to top Go down
Stryph
Hive World Slum Lord
Stryph

PostSubject: Re: TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar   TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 10:50 am

ooooh nasty....

but okay I'll do it - I get the feeling i'll be dumping nids when that's done though...
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

Awesomeness : 4790

PostSubject: Re: TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar   TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 9:19 am

tactica would be awesome. i was also going to write one for de orkses but have held back as i fear it will hold little interest for anyone but me!

still an enjoyable task to get on paper i guess. tactica is definitely welcome.

and great bat rep taff - thanks for posting a non campaign report!

i for one would actually vote in favour of a video!!!

you can host it on youtube and link it here - get jim to edit it as he did such a good job of the last one!
you could do one of 2 styles - get an actual camera hooked up and banter away like miniwargaming, or you can just commentate at the end of each turn, or add text so that mark can watch it whilst his missus is around!
Back to top Go down
http://godiva.bravesites.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar   TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TaffRep: 2000 points of GK vs Eldar
Page 1 of 1