Godiva Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Godiva Forums

Welcome to our forums! please feel free to discuss anything and everything! To head back to the main site, please click the PORTAL link below

GodivaHomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Taff: Death Wing Army

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Taffiarti
Fabricator-General of the Meccanocum
Taffiarti

Awesomeness : 4860

Taff: Death Wing Army Empty
PostSubject: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 8:44 am

Hi guys

Here is my Death Wing thread. it is where I shall be adding my pledges and working through my list on a month by month basis in an attempt to get a fighting Death Wing force up and running within 2013. When adding the other aspects of the hobby I wish to push forward: Painting my Eldar, Painting the Raven Claw's, Playing once every two weeks and getting videos up, it seems to be a tough goal when I will hopefully be moving house and jobs too!

Either way, the finished product will more than make up for any sleep I've missed, I'm sure.

JANUARY PLEDGE; 1000 POINT ARMY LIST

Here is the 1000 point list I shall be working on initially. this list includes the first extension as the army is so small in miniatures I can easily plan ahead.

HQ: Azreal

Troops: 5 Death Wing Terminators - Cyclone Missile Launcher
Troops: 5 Death Wing Terminators - Cyclone Missile Launcher

Elite: 5 Death Wing Terminator Knights.

Total: 940

Expansion force to follow:

Dedicated Transport: Land Raider (standard) with multi melta
Troops: 5 Death Wing Terminators.

Total: 1475

FEBRUARY PLEDGE: TROOPS - 5 MAN TERMINATOR SQUAD WITH CYCLONE MISSILE LAUNCHER

These will be completed by 01/03/2013 with WIP pictures posted. To make peeps aware, I shall not be starting these models until 22/02/2013 due t the prior commitment of getting a 600 point eldar army painted to tournament standard. And hopefully win a prize!

On a random note I could do with some help deciding on basing for these guys? Any thoughts peoples? I'd rather not do basic rubble nor snow as I have used them. Possibly a space hulk as they are terminators? Not sure though. An help would be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Further thoughts and goals of the Death Wing.   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Further to a comment made in the FAQ section I thought it best to expand my request for help regarding my bases. I think the biggest thing to communicate is what I want from this army. I sincerely want this army to be a great challenge for me. My personal goals are:

- to paint to the highest level I am capable of. I want to push myself and be able to use this army as display or tournament standard. This, in my opinion, is the best i personally can be. If I was to play a tournament and win an award I would hardly be upset either Smile

- I want to push myself and try new techniques. The ones that come to mind are consistent OSL through out the army, battle damage and possible wet blending. I understand the principles of each of these techniques through the reaearch I have already done, but now is the time to try them. These are somewhat situaitional though: The blendign will have to be tried on practice models, the OSL will have to be practiced so that it is subtle and not OTT and the damage will depend upon my theme of course (claws, guns, meltas etc...) as I may need to drill or scratch up models before painting.

- This army is not being made to win. I'm making it to be FLUFFY! I'm making it the theme of Death Wing. Whilst terminators are awesome, a 1000 point army with 16 models on the board is quite worrying when a standard Ork boys squad can shoot 60 shots (I think)...... This means no compramises on the list and themes but does thankfully protect me from some of the cost of the quality (and not so quality) models that have just been released.

- This means my base has to be very fluffy too. I'm increasingly comfortable with bases and would want to challenge myself here too. The bases would need to have a consistent theme to support my army. Much as I believe in the theme over the colours of bases I am now at a position where I want to ensure both are considered. Given Death Wing are a bone white I expect this to be a dark colour - metal, rock, deep browns etc... Will also need to think of any adornment and their colour - Pipes, bulbs, wires, other mini bits, spent shells, plants, puddles etc... At least I have extra space because they are terminator bases.

- My initial thought is Space Hulk. My image of Space Hulk is a lafrge number of vessels that are all together and have (fairly) recently come out of the warp. I can picture some of the bases, the colours, some adornment andhow to achieve this. I can also imagine some of the narrative for the army. The two things I am struggling most on are who the "arch foe" would be on these bases and how I might do future fluffy terrain. I could easily see either Tyranids (as they are the typical enemeny on space hulks) or chaos/daemons (as the ship has been in the warp for who knows how long). Perhaps the chaos theme would be better as I could angle it that the Death Wing were searching for some of the fallen? Both Tyranids and Daemons off multiple colours that can be used on the bases too. The downside to this, other than the terrain, is where woulsd a land raider fit in?

- Space Hulk is not my only idea though. Teleporting into any battle field is a possibility. The only base I do not want to do is snow. I would prefer to stay away from urban too unless they were to be used as a compliment to the Raven Claws.

So there we have it peeps! This was far longer than i hoped for but I hope that it offers some insight into both what I want and the sort of thoughts that I have for this army. Perhaps it will even inspire you to stretch yourself further.

If there is any help or comment that could be offered regarding the bases, fluff or narrative it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

T

Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

Awesomeness : 4791

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 7:36 am

i would like to see personally an indoor theme on your basing - space hulk definitely is the obvious, but potentially something more ambitious!

you have the advatage of few models meaning more time can be spent on each - with relatively few units, your 5 man squad could be split into 2's and 3's each month for extra dedication!

some elaborate basing would be great, especially if you are planning osl - if you make the basing occur on a vertical axis instead of the usual flat ground (part of a wall for example), theosl can go onto the basing too.

or the other way around, make a computer terminal shining onto the terminator armour!

perhaps too ambitious, but you get my drift im sure Smile
Back to top Go down
http://godiva.bravesites.com/
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 9:47 am

Not too ambitious at all. I'm certainly happy to split the models as I have thousands of points of other armies to paint!

I have two issues with what your suggesting:
- Inside what?
- And how do you do a vertical wall on the base when you have terminators on there!

I guess I could do it accross leaving maybe 1/4 of the base unused?
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 9:53 am

clever posing and erring the model to one side of the base? the bases are fairly big which helps?

inside a spaceship / space hulk i guess - metalic and smooth painted floor panelling.

you could put grates and thins on the floor and put wires running underneath the floor?

another idea i had was floor lamps pointing up at the model causing osl - like how capital city buildings are lit at night
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 10:04 am

That's an interesting thought. That would be bloody hard though! It would be 2 models a month! I do have some GW scenery parts too which may well help to save some time.
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 8:30 am

with 16 models, 2 a month would still get you finished by your birthday Razz

of course not every terminator needs such attention - 4 of each squad could have more standard bases, lasting 2 months, leaving 2 scenic bases for each squad's leader and azrial for the following 2 months

Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 8:35 am

Well they have been added to my to do list. First up I have the Eldar army to finish - that's going to be tight enough as it is as I have fallen behind Sad
Back to top Go down
Clappers
Slave to the Hive Mind
Clappers

Awesomeness : 4242

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 5:25 am

Sounds really good Sir Taff!

How about City scape for the bases, then you have carte blanche pretty much on any funny stuff you wanna put on the bases (lamp posts, letter boxes, dog poop etc.) and you could arrange the squads to have continuity ie. termie one is standing on a patterned flag stone terrace so you could base the unit around him so complete a pretty mozaic...
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

Awesomeness : 4406

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 8:40 am

Mr clappers I believe you may be on to something there; I think that's a cracking idea even if not the most practical one.....
Back to top Go down
Stryph
Hive World Slum Lord
Stryph

Awesomeness : 4699

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 12:38 am

I like the space hulk plan myself - there's a lot of scope with that as you essentially have the entire interior of a ship to work with. You could always build an actual space hulk as well to use as a display stand for the models to sit on when you enter them in armies on parade :-)
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 8:25 am

It's been a while since I posted on this so I thought I would drop and update.

The Bases
I will be going to use a space hulk theme. Though I really like the thought of the City scape bases Clappers described. I have a very similar theme for my Raven Claw. Expanding this to an allied force (likely to be Imperial Guard) would be great as I do have quite a lot bits left over from various Games Workshop kits. Using Imperial Guard as the example it might actually fit in better as an overall theme. This might show them dug deeper than there marine counter parts. A fair reflection of the two forces I feel.

I'm still working out the details of a Space Hulk theme in my head. I have invested in suitable floor grating and a few things that can count as wires. I have some materials that I can perhaps use as pipes but I think I need more. I might also some fake lights too. I suspect these will be a challenge because of the colour and paint (which would be needed) would obscure the fake lighting effect. Maybe I will need to get more of these too. I also have some floor tiles from Games Workshop scenery kits which I may be able to adapt a a bit. I think some additions such as bigger pipes will be quite nice too such as the ones from plumbing sets. Of course there is no room on the base for such cool stuff!

Thankfully there is inspiration in science fiction everywhere. And normal life. One image is the side of the tube tunnels as an example.

As I'm going with Space Hulk I will need to buy an enemy for them I think. I'm still torn between Tyranids (as they are the standard Space Hulk enemy), Chaos Marines (as they fit beautifully with the chasing of the fallen) and finally Necrons. I believe they all have tremendous potential to act on the base. Think Alien films for Tyranids, The Borg for Necrons and a combo of both with some religious additions for Chaos. I think these could add some real character to the bases.

All in all I seem to have a very large task with these bases. As such, I have decided to do the bases as a pledge to themselves. This will include any amendments to the Death Wing such as light sourcing. This will be after I have completed most of the Death Wing themselves of course.

So let me know what you think of these ponderings of mine. If you have any ideas or perhaps examples of what I can please let me know or show me an image so I can get my head around it!

The Death Wing
I will mainly be using the Death Wing from the 40k starter set. Frankly they are 1/3 of the price and that appeals to me. I have bought one box of the official ones and am amazed by it. Because it is designed to make three separate kits it has enough pieces to convert most of this army by itself. This is a lucky break for me as I should have enough bits between the kit and the standard Raven Claw terminators to convert each model in my army.

Wouldn't want them to all be the same now would I. That would be boring.

I am still hoping to be able to get this done by 1st March. There is a chance I will not however. I am going to be attempting wet blending on these guys. This will at least some practice on large surfaces. I did buy some paint retarder so with hope that will help. If you happen to know any particularly good tutorials please share the love Smile

Well I think that's quote enough rambling for now!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 4:44 am

Gents

I'm a bit ashamed of this but I have completed my pledge by painting the death wing with a minimum of three colours. They are appauling and I'm sorry but they were all painted in 15 mins.... I shall be painting them properly now but the tournament wore me out!

Taff: Death Wing Army Wp_00010
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: 27.02.2013. Pledge 1 (embarrasingly) complete.   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 12:53 am

And pledge two is....

Taff: Death Wing Army Joker110

Watch this space as I will be back with genuinley painted models in April!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 7:36 am

curses - only 3 colours and they are still better than mine!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Sorry I'm late but.... Pledge 3!   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 11:36 pm

hi guys

With luck I am back on properly now that I have finally finished moving my stuff into storgae and am set up at the in laws.

So, lastr month I took the pledge of the joker card. Hence I lost no points!

This month I cannot do such a thing. So this month I shall be painting 5 terminators! With luck they will be better than the last ones and, if i get lucky, I will start going over them again too!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 10:57 am

hope you manage to grab the time this month - i suppose its based on what deals have been struck with the inlaws!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 6:30 pm

To a large degree you're right! A lot of negotiations wne ton while we were at hooters (more or less to the minute!!) so I think I will be able to paint to my hearts contenet starting at 10-10.30 every night. Whether I can watch you tube or miniwargaming at the same tinme is another issue.........

Well my goal on Saturday night is to make them. Hopefully the weather will be kind on Sunday and I can properly prime them. After that it's off to the races....
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Bonus Point Entry Number One   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 6:59 pm

Here is a little Story I just did. I dout it'scoherant or my best work but there we go! Let me know what you think

Upon entering the chamber one would have been struck by the darkness. But as time passed and eyes acclimatised to the dark, one would be struck by the vivid colours on display. Along the ground are a lattice of mosaic’s depicting glorious times now passed: the slaying of beasts, the rise of the Lion and the fall of those who opposed him. They are obscured in places by large metallic crates either stacked up or being moved by servitors or serfs. You know they are weighed down by munitions and they will soon be emptied and replaced by further crates.

Higher are glorious banners. Some are old beyond compare and are as tall as the chamber itself. You glance left, focussing on one that has always drawn your attention. It depicts the tale of two talking heads and shows the 1st company in their bone armour for the first time fighting off a never ending wave of tyranid spawnings. Despite being many thousands of years old it is pristine thanks to the miniature force fields protecting it from the ravages of time.

Were you not possessed of genetically enhanced vision you would not see the chamber for what it is – a beautiful and colourful monument to the greatest of Space Marine Chapters. Had you not already been inducted into the Dark Angels these images and tapestries would be nothing more than decoration rather than the constant reminder of what can be achieved when fighting with your brothers. But this is a time for war. This is a time for tactical displays and mission briefings, not a time for contemplation nor historical study. This is the time to earn your name and place in the chapter.

None emphasis this more than the Death Wing. They stand in the north east corner of the chamber and move to their allotted places. You note the sound of the hydraulics in their armour and the adjustment of grips on the storm bolters. The air starts to crackle and an electric blue haze fills your vision. It reflects from their bone armour until the corner of the chamber is not dark. The only constant are the dark eyes glaring from their armour. With a bright flash they are gone. But even you, Sergeant Hrafn of the 4th company, look back over your shoulder to where the Death Wing just were as you’re sure those eyes, those hungry and merciless eyes, are still watching you….
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: April Pledge and beyond   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Gents

below is a pciture of my properly painted death wing

Taff: Death Wing Army Death_10

With luck you will like them! The other two from this months pledge are pinte in three colours to make them legal but a) were in the bedroom baby taff was napping in when these were taken and b) would have looked poo ompared to these three.

These are certainly the most technically challenging models I have done as they wet blended. You will also note they are all different colours as I try to find the right set that I want to paint my army in. Personally I'm edgintowards theone int he middle because it's quitre different than usual and I could almost image death win armour being that way in low light space hulks.

Please post feedback as I really want to improve!

MAY PLEDGE: Azreal and other two death wing from this squad
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 8:02 am

you cheated by taking a small pic instead of a blocky one like me! haha

ive seen one in the flesh and i really like them - i love the slightly burgundy hue to the shadow. i definitely think you need to introduce red into their lighting or basing somehow to give the red a real emphasis.

how did the new paints work out?

Also, just read your story...i really really liked it! very atmospheric, very prologuey - full of anticipation Smile

looks like you got the bonus points - unless my wolf hunt scientific journal counts i didnt get around to drawing my watership down wolf hunt - definitely want to...next time im in a meeting (thats about 3 a day Sad ) i know what ill be doodling!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

Awesomeness : 4406

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 8:24 am

I have yet to see them in the flesh but you know what I think of them already; forgive me for not posting on here for now but it's very late......
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 8:27 pm

May's task was a fail. I did not paint any dark angels. And in all honesty, I have lost a bit of interest in painting them at the current time o I am going to shelve the, for now. The reason is simple and one word: Eldar. Every month since this began I have actually ben painting units of Eldar. So in essence I have been completing pledges on the Eldar and trying to sneak the Dark Angels in afterwards. I'm sure you agree that it makes sense to witch arsmies.

Plus of course the new Eldar codex came out and with them the new unit and even more of a desire to paint.

To give background on what I have painted during this calendar year I have painted:
- An Eldar Farseer
- An Avatar
- 10 Guardians with heavy weapon platform and Warlock
- 10 Dire Avengers with magnetised Exarch
- 9 Striking Scorpions
- 5 Dark Reapers
- 2 Eldar Wraith Lord
- A Wave Serpent.

You see now why I have been struggling to find time to paint the Dark Angels right!!!

It is my hope that no one will mind if I switch armies for this pledge? If so, speak now! Given what I have achieved this year I do not think it is unreasonable to keep the points I have? Please feel free to discuss! I shall write some alternate fluff to carry over for this month too ti ensure I am being as fair as possible.

So, assuming there are no objections....

This month I shall therefore pledge to paint 10 Rangers/Pathfinders and their special character.

At this second I am obviously at Hannah's mums and am on her computer. Therefore I cannot realy download picture of my Eldar on to tis computer. Monday at work however, I will have no such issues! I shall take picture of my models today on my phone an send them too my work email account. There I should be able to ad them al to the website to prove what I have done!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 9:45 am

i for one have no problem at all taff - this tale of plagiarism was always meant to be informal and friendly like - so no rules here!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Eldar Rangers WIP   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Still havenm't managed to get a round to taking any of the photos I promised. Sad times indeed. Plus the light is so bad there that I can't really do it indoors, add that to my phones camera and they are always going to be questionable!

Thats said I am making pretty good progress on the rangers. The unit of 10 consists of 5 new models and 5 metal ones. Bot of these models have a lot going for them in different ways and I like the variety of models, A bit annoyed still at how much larger the models have ended up over time. I would say the new rangers are more of a 30mm scale and the difference is definitely noticeable. Of course this can be used to my advantage if I look at the bigger picture: True scale marines are definitely possible by buying metal guard models!

In terms of my rangers though I have struglled qitrh the camo. I don't have a picture, but the first lot looked as if I had never painted before. For those of you who remember my space marine scouts, the effect was fairly similar to them. Now at the time I was pretty damn happy with them, but that ewas then and this was now. In the end i loosley based it upon this pattern:

In this pattern I see 3 shades of grey and a white. It looks like the medium grey is the base colour. When I tries this is just seemed to dark so I made the light grey the base colour and went over that. I think is was ullathorn grey? I also effectively used two whites, as I painted them with a very watered down version first and then touched up as approproiste. Either way.... here theyare so far! Feedback as always is welcome!

Taff: Death Wing Army Eldar_11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taff: Death Wing Army   Taff: Death Wing Army I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Taff: Death Wing Army
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next