Godiva Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Godiva Forums

Welcome to our forums! please feel free to discuss anything and everything! To head back to the main site, please click the PORTAL link below

GodivaHomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The new Eldar: Initial Thoughts

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Taffiarti
Fabricator-General of the Meccanocum
Taffiarti

Awesomeness : 4860

The new Eldar: Initial Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: The new Eldar: Initial Thoughts   The new Eldar: Initial Thoughts I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 6:53 pm

So, I have been a bit quiet on the website as of late but the new Eldar codex has got me into a mood to talk.  Firstly, yey!  A new Eldar codex!  I can’t remember if it was the Eldar or Black Templars that was the oldest? But as it appears the Black Templars will be a supplement for the main vanilla Marine codex I guess the Eldar is the oldest stand alone one?  About bloody time for one of the original three races of the game to be updated

That said, the Eldar codex doesn’t appear to have changed too much at all on the surface.  The units are pretty much the same, do the same jobs, cost about the same points etc...  We did get four new units though which are all really quite lovely.  Then you notice that there are three massive changes which fundamentally alter the Eldar book..

-          The ability to run AND shoot in the shooting phase

-          The fact every Shruiken weapon is AP2 on a roll to wound of 6

-          The change to a guardians profile to give BS4

Now none of these changes are massive in themselves when you think about it.  But when you start to combine them with existing or tweaked rules it becomes alot more fun! 

Take a unit of guardians for example.  Now they were universally mocked as being rubbish, and with good reason!  They had a guardmans stat line with a 12" gun!  They're main use was to sit at the back, add a heavy weapon platform and hope they were ignored!  Now though things have changed.

The increase in BS on an assault 2 gun willmake a large difference.  This means that standard units will get 40 shots, hitting on threes.  This should increase the number of "hits" to 2/3 out of a volley from 20!  That is a large difference.  Especially when you then think of the number of "6's" rolled in the to wound section will likely increase and therefore so will the AP2 shots!  Then they run afterwards to try and limit the number of units that can assault them.

Given these rules seem to cover most units (and most units have fleet too)  I believe this makes the Eldar a much stronger army than before.  Maybe this is the "counter attack" army as we seem to be very maneuverable now.

Anyway, those are my thoughts initially!  I shall be writing about each section seperately and palying a game in the next week or two so that may give me more of an idea what to take.  As always let me know way comments and check out my WIP and 5 gamers for updates which I will do my best to add more frequesntly.  Who knows - the new eldar, potentially the new house may be the incentive I need for more games and more video battle reports!
Back to top Go down
Stryph
Hive World Slum Lord
Stryph

Awesomeness : 4699

PostSubject: Re: The new Eldar: Initial Thoughts   The new Eldar: Initial Thoughts I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 1:00 am

I haven't really been keeping up with the changes in the newer dexes (heard some people crying about tau but thats all), so interesting to hear your thoughts on it. I dont really see many eldar players around my way so a new dex may bring them out of the woodwork as well which will be very refreshing!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Fabricator-General of the Meccanocum
Taffiarti

Awesomeness : 4860

PostSubject: Re: The new Eldar: Initial Thoughts   The new Eldar: Initial Thoughts I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 6:40 pm

Tau seem to be a really interesting one.  They got some really nice upgrqades and options that have definitely sealed them as the "shooty army".  They appear to have two main types of unit: Shooty and the ones that make shooty ones better! 

An example is that with a certain upgrade, the commander can give up his shooting to make certain units nearby twin linked.  Add that to things like marker lights removing cover saves or increasing ballistic skill and it all equates to a nasty shooting phase. 

I think the real one though is the support over watch.  I'm not 100% on the rules but I think it's that units with a particular special rule can join an over watch of a different unit.  Pretty sure I saw 4 tau squads rapid firing into one marine squad from one declared charge!  Plus of course hey can have upgrades to change their 6's into 5's!.

I have't played them myself though so they still seem beatable to me personally.

Eldar are a more funny race. They are one of the original three races and one of only two survivors (thise poor squats).  They have some of the most beautiful sculpts and have a deep, rich and, imo, imaginative fluffs around.  Yet they are still a bunch of pansies who are really difficult to play and cannot get into close comabt with any ease!

On a selfish note I hope that the next condex comes out so quicjkly that people forget about the Eldar because of whatever large dreadnaught they are surely bringing out for the vanilla marine codex.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The new Eldar: Initial Thoughts   The new Eldar: Initial Thoughts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The new Eldar: Initial Thoughts
Page 1 of 1