Godiva Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Godiva Forums

Welcome to our forums! please feel free to discuss anything and everything! To head back to the main site, please click the PORTAL link below

GodivaHomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Clappers
Slave to the Hive Mind
Clappers

Awesomeness : 4243

2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 10:22 am

ok this is what I got so far, I'm going for a cross between ZULU and WW2 Tommys, I want to try and mod the tanks (oh yes there will be tanks!!) to be abit more like panzers.

2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 20130116

2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 20130115

2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 20130117

2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 20130118

2 units of mordians 3 units of cadians with tommy helmets and 1 unit of the old style berret storm troopers. colour scheme will be mainly red coat and blue/tan trousers, white webbing and probably green jacket colours for the storm troopers.

Now the ladies...

2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 20130119

2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 20130120

2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 20130121

2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 20130122

These models are bitchin! 2 commissars and an inquisitor
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

Awesomeness : 4407

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 10:34 am

Jeez! They look lovely n all for a dunkirk invasion but I thought we were acquiring just a codex this month?! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Fabricator-General of the Meccanocum
Taffiarti

Awesomeness : 4861

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 10:39 am

They do look good indeed! Can't wait to see them as they get painted up!

Rellik - you can buy/paint whatever you want when ever you want.. You will only earn points for your months pledge though. January's pledge is to "obtain" a codex of your chosen force and write an army list. At present, Stryph and Hobo have points. The rest of us, sadly do not Crying or Very sad

Yet Wink
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 10:51 am

As a different thought - since this appears to be going ahead - where do we think/how do we think we should update this? Specific forum? In the WIP section with my "judgement" in a specific thread somewhere else?

Remember boys - the 20th is the last time you can submit new idea for additional scoring other than painting. The battle ones are really messed up at the minute so any advice or clarity would be great!
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 11:01 am

I missed that post completely to be honest but we'll catch up on the morrow anyhow; am I to assume everyone else gets paid at the end of every month and therefore that'll be the deadline for each phase? I only ask as obviously I don't so for this months "quota" I can do nothing sadly until my payday next week!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 11:06 am

The quota is done by calendar month. January 1st or 31st is all the same Smile I shan't really talk about it tomorrow as I haven't discussed this with Mrs Taff and don't really want to either. She may try and stop me. And I'm not ready for that!

Plus to say the word pay is pushing it with this lot.....
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

Awesomeness : 4792

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 11:43 am

i havent got any points yet as i have yet to "purchase" the codex!

i will though before the end of the month! (pay day sounds good to me!!!!!!)

ive bought a box of grey hunters already, and have bluetacked a few models together for kicks, but im not painting or anything till next month - im doing tallis's obliterator atm Smile
Back to top Go down
http://godiva.bravesites.com/
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 11:47 am

Don't worry - I'm still painting dire avengers. They are taking forever! Stupid tournament!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 12:26 pm

back to clappers post - i really like your choice. and some of the models are cool - i love the stormtroopers, i think they are brilliant (and they have good guns!)

im not sure what the womens are about though - are they Commisar Yarrick's "personal" entourage?
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 10:28 pm

Just a thought about the games for this; how about we ratio what forces we are using to ones in our current campaign army, ie if we have a new troop and hq we have a troop and hq allied with it from current campaign ideally pre-drawn up as well to prevent a sneaky bit of tailoring - that would give us a slightly bigger game for a while although I wouldn't know where to begin recommending points limits as each army would different!
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 11:31 pm

thats actually quite a good idea!

i think points wise youd have to throw that out of the window as far as the allies go - as long as its fair-ish that will have to do Smile as long as the main force is the correct points value then it will be more or less ok (though if the allied attachments get bigger more care would have to be taken)

in terms of tailoring, i dont think that would be an issue, as this month the task is to buy the codex and build a list - so as the challenge wears on you'll know exactly what you are facing.
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 7:20 am

so we have 5 interested peeps in this, and need a dedicated space in the forum for it i guess...but what are we going to call this beast?
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 8:47 am

I like build-a-battle?? rabbit but if you want a more professional campaign title, that would depend on a background story if we're having one or developing while we play...?
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 9:05 am

Hobowan wrote:
So we have 5 interested peeps in this, and need a dedicated space in the forum for it i guess...but what are we going to call this beast?

So we need a name huh? Tough to say . There are at least 5 people in this so it can't really be army specific. I say 5 at least as Stryph seems allergic to getting the Plymouth peeps involved and Latent has been away.

Godiva expands?
How to fill a galaxy?
Who needs Squats anyway?
How to lose to Tervigon spam in even more ways?
Godiva 2013 Army building challenge?
Godiva: The next level?

Bloodlust_Rellik wrote:
I like build-a-battle?? rabbit but if you want a more professional campaign title, that would depend on a background story if we're having one or developing while we play...?

There is a real push for this to be a campaign here. I need to stress that I have no intention of doing either. If this becoms a campaign then I probably wouldn't bother being too much a part of it s my initial "vision" for this was little to do with battles at all. It's certainly an aspect I'm interested in, but I find it hard to find time to play 40k anyway let alone adding more games that require thought and preparation etc.. To do that means terms would be dictated and it would likely have to be dictated points to make it fair - eg legally you need a HQ and 2 troops so a GK player would need 550 for a naked list (a guess and assuming a termie list). That means everyone else would have to have 550 points by x time to do this game. That's 11 model for the GK player but maybe 40 odd for an imperial guard? Puts a lot of pressure on for an informal/casual thing... and that does not include narratives, etc... for whomever the organiser is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fluff! Make a list that suits your interpretation, what you want, from a book you read, an entire chapter based upon an American football team called the Ravens (oh wait, I did that!). the more fluffy the more fun Smile
-------------------

So I was speaking to Hobo about Relliks post as I didn't really get what was being said. Now I get it and I'm not really positive on it. The main reason is that this was not suggested as a campaign, narrative or anything like that. It was about building a new army (and I say new loosely as I thought more people would use existing models), painting it and making that elusive thing that no one actually has - A fully finished and painted army (I know some of us can field one if we use particualr choices but you know what I mean). The hope was to improve painting, modelling and expanding your playing style. Plus, from a selfish point of view - less unpainted armies look better on film!

To add it to the existing campaign sounds really complicated. That cul be a lot of work for Stryph. If they are added as allies then they will surely have to be legal? So a minimum of 1 HQ and 1 Troops (I think?). Does that complicate things? I'm not sure but I for one do not want my Eldar and Death Wng to be one force. It's not why I got them. Otherwise I would have gone IG for the Raven Claw marines or Dark Eldar for the Eldar.

But we still have a week to organise this. To clarify what I hoped for I shall explain what my thoughts were as I know some people got confused by them as well.

Most of us see each other outside of our various works. But most of us do not have regular time to play large games, an hour here or there sure, but not the 3+ hours they usually take. What I was proposing was an escalation in line with what you have painted up as part of your pledges.

I was hoping for a bit of kill teams (Kill teams is around 200 points of legal unit, any unit> and equipping them as they would normally be done. Except they act individually. So a 10 man tactical marine squad would have 10 individuals doing what you want rather than as a squad of 10) as I think it is more flexible and can be adjusted easily for points differences using proxying. I think this is done on a 3 foot by 3 foot board. This would cover 200-350 points I think.

. This could then be expanded to combat patrol. Generally this would be 2 units with one having to be a troop . I think these are more mission based (hold objective, assasination, hostage removal) where units do work as units and your "leader" would be a sergeant or something. This would probably cover up to 750 by adding HQ's or additional units.

- The we end with the 1000 point games and, if there is time and the project is going well, up to 1500.

The reason for the above is they wouldn't necessarily take a long time. When I was seeing one of you a side games could be played with minimal disruption – smaller table, smaller numbers of models, simpler in mechanics. Most games would be set up and packed up in an hour. As there is no specific league/challenge system you could fight whomever you were seeing. They could be tagged on to the campaign it’s true – but not as part of the same battle.

--------------

I wanted to add was that you do not need to rite a battle report. Different type of thing here. You just need to be updating a WIP log and include one section detailing the battle and what you learnt eg:

Deathwing vs Dark Eldar.: Deathwing victory
I learnt that the termies were better than I though as the DE has so few AP weapons. But the DE ran rings around in terms of speed and iniative. In my expansion I should consider either speed or range to strengthen my weakness.

Short, sharp, and a reminder for yourself if you chose to look at the log.

-----------------------

Another thing to add was the expansion I mentioned above. As discussed this is for 1000 points. That is not a lot of points and will undoubtably include weaknesses. The 500 point expansion (and I’m sure it will happen looking at the enthusiasm) was going to be optional depending upon how we got on near the end due to funds, continued participation etc….
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 9:27 am

I completely get what you're saying with regard to timing issues and the like - I'm sure we'd all like to play a lot more! That's why I mentioned a type of league; and if we based our "scores" on the lowest playing player in the league might keep it a little competitive plus you wouldn't necessarily have to play everyone a certain number of times but could play someone more out of sheer convenience!
Kill team games are a little alien to me as I said but sound completely feasible!
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 9:46 am

How do you base scores on the lowest player? I don't get it? As in the fewest points of models painted? the lowest total when taking painting in to account? Either way I struggle to see this as, say 10 Dark Eldar warriors are about 100 points (guessing here), So I would get 2 Death wing terminators? I'm sorry mat but I'm struggling to see what you mean here and how it would apply/What bonuses would be added to this?
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 9:55 am

I was thinking more about the small battles we have but I'm sure it can be introduced for everything; ill have a play around with it see what I come up with......
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:17 am

What do you mean by small game? Perhaps that will help me?
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:51 pm

Only the kill team games we have but I'm sure we can incorporate everything into a table see how we're all doing with all aspects....
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:34 am

I think kill teams are fine for a starter once we all have a hq and a troop done. the Relic scenario would work well with.kill team.

But hows about this...

Necromunda! Get a hq and a troop to make your necromunda force.
Use necromunda rules, maybe slightly tailored to suit the models.

As each pledge is completed, models who die can be replaced by your new recruits from any unit you then have painted

so this way rather than having a full army thing getting more and more complex we just have a single necromunda campaign
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 3:12 am

Say what?????
Back to top Go down
Hobowan
Hobowan

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 7:44 am

necromunda was an old GW game where you had a "gang" of 10ish models (a leader, a heavy, some rank and file gangers and some young but full-of-potential juves).

you fought kill team style battles, and the models gained money and experience points, gaining levels and wealth. every level you gained you could buy equipment or extra stats etc.

Likewise if a guy died, you had to roll on a table which gave the extent of his injuries - could be something like a lost arm which lost you strength, or could be total death (at which point yould have to pay to replace him with a newbie juve.)
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust_Rellik
Xenophobic Space Marine
Bloodlust_Rellik

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 8:38 am

I quite like the sound of that Laughing
Back to top Go down
Taffiarti
Taffiarti

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 8:56 am

If that what you want to do then go for it! As said it's not really something I'm too interested in so wouldn't want to try and get too heavily involved.

For me it's about the painting and army making as I don't really have time to start a whole new gaming system. I have forgotten so much about Necromunda I would have to learn from scratch. I guess the major thing for whom ever may choose to take it on is this: Would the need of your "gang" start to influence which models were done and would you be able to fit a 40k army into the game? I'm not so sure but I am ready to be proved wrong!
Back to top Go down
Stryph
Hive World Slum Lord
Stryph

Awesomeness : 4700

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 9:12 am

WOW - this thread got long...

I may have someone down here that would join in on this one as he's about to pick up 40k (unless he changes his mind now he's seen the size of the rule book).

Alleric to getting Plymouth peeps involved? In what way do you want them involved? I mentioned a trip up to which Tony isn't interested - he spend a lot of time away from his family due to being in the forces and doesn't want to travel away on his down time, Adam agreed, Liam probably would (the new guy) but there weren't any hands up for providing a floor to sleep on so that ended there.

With the cron list I wrote that is subject to change - it's the initial idea I have but I can't guarantee I'll stick with it. Mainly the C'tan as it feels a bit out of place as it's more there for the Necron fluff than the stargate theme. If we're doing 1k points though I' sure I can nail down a 1k list as I already own over 1k of models so that makes it easy :-) - Do you want a full 1k list?

I like the idea of the necromunda style games and had already thought of something along those lines in a battle royale island style battle - I'm not sure I'd have time to design that though - I'm already having to pull back on the campaign stuff slightly (yeah that thread isn't written yet). ut any battle wouldn't include Liam if he joined the painting side, my parents don't want strangers staying there and at 75 and 66 years old - I can't blame them. Realistically it's probably pointless to include me in any of these battle either - the monthly trips up I've been doing can't last much longer from both a financial and time perspective.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?   2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2013 - The year of a brand new 1500 point army for all?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next